In keeping with its smart appearance, service standards at Lobengula Lodge are absolutely impeccable. Lobengula Lodge is a great option for those who like a little luxury with their safari! However, we must stress that this is adults-only accommodation. For travellers with children hoping to visit Shamwari, we recommend Riverdene Lodge and Sarili Lodge.
ACCESS & LOCATION:
Lobengula Lodge is located in the Eastern Cape in the Shamwari Game Reserve.
ACCOMMODATION & FACILITIES AT LOBENGULA LODGE:
Lobengula Lodge has been built to resemble a traditional African ‘kraal’, in the sense of several dwellings within a homestead. All structures are smartly constructed, with tiled and covered floors, stone walls, glass windows, and thatched roofs. The décor features items made by local women. The main areas consist of a comfortable lounge with central media centre incorporating Wi-Fi, a delightful dining room and bar, a lovely dining deck with views of the surrounding bush, a small library, a fitness room, a spa and a gift shop. Spa facilities include holistic therapies, sauna and steam room. There is also a Tsala meditation deck, a yoga studio and a wine cellar! Outside there is a swimming pool with plenty of sunloungers and a boma for al-fresco dining.
The guest accommodation at Lobengula Lodge consists of six suites in two categories – Chief Suite and Junior Suite. There is just one Chief Suite, with king-size bed, private plunge pool, lounge and fireplace. All Junior Suites may be configured as king rooms or twin rooms and two have a private plunge pool. All accommodation benefits from air conditioning, ceiling fans, IDD telephone, satellite TV, tea- and coffee-maker, mini bar, electronic safe, en-suite indoor and outdoor showers, and private patio.
Nothing is too much trouble for staff, whether attending to all your pampering needs at the sanctuary of the onsite spa or organising private dining for guests in the serene setting of the local bushveld. And the Villa makes a special effort to use home-grown and organic ingredients in its cuisine, as just one of its initiatives to support local producers.
ACTIVITIES AT LOBENGULA LODGE:
Lobengula Lodge offers an excellent assortment of activities.
- Game drives take place for three hours at sunrise and sunset, with coffee or tea and sundowners served en route. There is plenty of wildlife in Shamwari – all Big Five animals, in addition to a range of antelope species, cheetah, zebra, giraffe, wild dog, hyena and hippo!
- Keen birders are in their element here, as there are breathtaking quantities of raptors and waterbirds as well as species for whom the grasslands are home – such as oxpeckers, hoopoe and colourful starlings.
- Game walks and nature walks may be arranged on request and present guests with a fantastic opportunity to get to know the game reserve intimately, focusing on detailed identification and tracking.
- Guests also enjoy visiting the local Shamwari Rehabilitation Centre, where young, orphaned, injured or abandoned animals are nurtured back to health.
- At the Dr Ian Player Rhino Awareness Centre, you can learn about these magnificent creatures and ongoing efforts to protect them from poaching.
- Finally, the Born Free Foundation Animal Research & Education Centre is interesting too, educating guests on the many ways in which wildlife is exploited in captivity worldwide.