*We’re delighted to say this lodge has just been refurbished. Some information below may differ from the newly refurbished experience.*
Ngala Tented Camp is one of two properties owned and operated by luxury safari company &Beyond within the Ngala Private Game Reserve. &Beyond runs a selection of high-quality camps and lodges throughout Safari Africa, and this is one of our favourites from the entire portfolio! Holding a TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence, the camp is renowned for its superb service standards. Accommodation is booked on a full-board basis, including three meals daily, a selection of alcoholic and soft drinks, expertly guided vehicle and walking safaris, transfers between the camp and &Beyond’s private airstrip, Wi-Fi, and a laundry service. The camp is open throughout the year. Children aged 12 years and over are welcome, and access for disabled travellers is available on request.
ACCESS & LOCATION:
The camp is accessed via road transfer from &Beyond’s private airstrip. It has a fabulous location, on the banks of the seasonal Timbavati river within the famous game reserve.
ACCOMMODATION & FACILITIES AT NGALA TENTED CAMP:
Guest accommodation consists of just nine tented suites, spaced approximately 6 metres apart. Each features a few steps up onto a tiled deck, where you’ll find a couple of easy chairs and a table. It’s a great spot for relaxing and watching the wildlife wander by, and from some suites there are wonderful views of the river! Moving inside, through wood-framed glass doors, you’ll find the bedroom, which contains a double bed or twin beds, with bedside and overhead lighting. A tall board divides this space from the washing area, which offers separate flush toilet, twin washbasins with mirrors over, and, towards the back of the tent, a bathtub. Gauze screen windows allow cool breezes to waft through, and in-room amenities include air conditioning, overhead fans, telephone, mini-bar, safe, and hairdryer. Another door opens onto the back deck, which has a daybed and an outside shower.
Most of the communal facilities at Ngala Tented Camp occupy the property’s spacious main tent. This is positioned at roughly the centre of the site and boasts particularly good views of the river! In the lounge, a variety of pale green and neutral seating surrounds coffee and occasional tables, and contemporary-style rugs line the floor. Furnishings with a similar colour scheme are set up in the dining area, which features a long table where everyone eats together, and a cosy fireplace. The tent has a well-stocked bar too, and guests can also tuck in to delicious food and drink on the deck just outside. On a slightly lower level, there’s the safari shop, which sells clothing and essential items in addition to curios. The massage sala is just the job for a little pampering, while guests hoping to keep fit can request &Beyond’s nifty gym-in-a-basket. For us, the camp’s highlight is its contoured lap pool, perfect for a refreshing dip between activities. That said, we also love the al fresco meal locations the setting affords, especially the riverbed during the dry months – it’s a pretty special place to be.
ACTIVITIES AT NGALA TENTED CAMP:
The camp provides an exciting assortment of activities!
- Game drives, in the company of knowledgeable and experienced guides, take place during the morning and the late afternoon into evening period.
- There’s certainly a lot to explore here, as the Ngala reserve covers some 14,700 hectares of savanna, woodland, and water sources!
- Subject to availability, and at additional cost, you can even book a private vehicle for the ultimate tailored safari.
- On drives, wildlife species you can look out for include all Big Five – lion, rhino, leopard, elephant, and buffalo.
- There are lots of smaller mammals too, not least cheetah, hyenas, jackals, and wild dog as far as predators are concerned, and hippo, giraffe, wildebeest, zebra, and numerous antelopes showing up for the herbivores.
- Over three hundred types of bird are in residence too, so if you’re a keen birder don’t forget your binocs!
- Ngala’s interpretive bush walks, open to safarists aged 16 years and over, will appeal to anyone interested in animal tracking, and scrutinising plants and insects along the way.
- Special photographic safaris also come at extra cost, as do rhino notching experiences, helicopter flights over the stunning Blyde River Canyon, and thrilling hot air balloon rides!
*This property is unfenced and located in a wildlife area, so large and potentially dangerous animals do pass through. If you opt to stay here, always be alert when walking around the camp and request for a member of staff to escort you if you have any concerns. Any guest is escorted after dark as a matter of course.