The Elegant Farmstead is listed in the portfolio of Elegant Collection, which includes The Elegant Guesthouse in Windhoek. In common with the Guesthouse, the Farmstead has been awarded a Certificate of Excellence from TripAdvisor! The accommodation is booked on a half-board basis, including breakfast, dinner, parking, and Wi-Fi. When sharing with two fully paying adults, children aged 11 years and younger incur a reduced rate. The cost of activities for kids aged 2–11 is lower too, and free for youngsters under 2!
ACCESS & LOCATION:
The property can be accessed via road transfer from Hosea Kutako International Airport, a journey of approximately two hours. If you are driving from Windhoek, it’ll take about an hour and 30 minutes. Originally a German mission station, The Elegant Farmstead is located on a plot comprising about 25 square kilometres and home to a good range of wildlife. A grand thatch-roofed entrance leads through gardens to the main building, which has the look of a traditional farmhouse, much enhanced by the presence of hens, goats, geese, and even ducks on a pond near the parking area!
ACCOMMODATION & FACILITIES AT THE ELEGANT FARMSTEAD:
All 11 guest rooms are found in converted farm buildings, within the well-kept grounds. Eight rooms can be configured as a double or twin, two are triples, and one is for families, sufficiently spacious for a maximum of two adults and three children. All rooms are air-conditioned and pleasantly styled. The palette is mostly creams and browns, with abstract artwork providing a few colourful notes. Furnishings include bedside tables and lighting, and a dressing table containing a torch, a clothes brush, and a hairdryer. En-suite facilities comprise flush toilet, washbasin with mirror over, and shower. And all rooms have access to a patio area – set with chairs, this is a peaceful place for relaxing and enjoying views over the gardens, which include water fountain and swimming pool.
The Elegant Farmstead’s communal spaces are mostly found in the property’s old farmhouse, which, although contemporary in some aspects, retains its traditional feel. The interiors are open plan and spacious, with a lot of light coming in through wide windows at the front. The lounge features leather sofas and armchairs around a coffee table, bookshelves, and a cosy brick fireplace with a rock sculpture of Africa above. This area flows through to a small space where teas, coffees, and biscuits are available, and come at 3 o’clock every afternoon a homemade cake appears too! Towards the back of the house, there’s a cigar lounge, with a floor resembling a chessboard, additional leather seating and a coffee table, a few magazines, and Elegant’s honesty bar, which stocks whisky and brandy as well as cigars. You can also sit in the gardens, in the shade of mature trees. The property’s deck is a great setting for tucking into meals while enjoying views over a nearby waterhole, while the boma is fabulous for indoor dining. Wine is available from the lodge’s own cellar! And there’s a sparkling swimming pool too – a fairly large one, with sunloungers alongside.
ACTIVITIES AT THE ELEGANT FARMSTEAD:
- Elegant offers some classic safari activities, as well as cultural things to do.
- The farmstead features open plains, dry river beds, and majestic mountains, providing habitats for a fine assortment of wildlife species!
- Just a few mammals you can expect to see here, on game drives and walks, are giraffe, eland, kudu, duiker, springbok, steenbok, waterbuck, warthog, and jackal.
- There are numerous bird highlights too, not least the impressive ostrich! Sunset drives are possible too, presenting opportunities to get to know the nocturnal creatures here.
- You can also hike along several trails, among them a stroll to Signal Mountain for travellers who are feeling fit! Cheetah tours are on offer as well.
- If you like a little culture with your safari, you’ll be keen to take part in the Ovitoto Cultural Tour – this involves visiting a government school, a garment centre, a day care centre, a mini-market, and two villages.
- A traditional lunch is prepared for you, and you can purchase a knitted puppet or two as a charming souvenir.