The guides at Sossusvlei Lodge are very knowledgeable and the staff are genuinely helpful and welcoming. The owners have young children and have successfully sought to make the lodge as family friendly as possible. Supervision is required at the pool and the water tower, but staff do offer a babysitting service, and cots and highchairs are available.
ACCESS & LOCATION:
Its fabulous location next to the entrance to Namib-Naukluft Park and the magnificent Sesriem Canyon only adds to its appeal.
ACCOMMODATION & FACILITIES AT SOSSUSVLEI LODGE:
On arrival at the Lodge, you encounter a grand and imposing archway – this certainly lets you know you have arrived! As you make your way along the shaded walkway to the main building, you notice that the rich earthy red colours used in the décor thoughtfully reflect the colour of the surrounding dunes. This theme is continued throughout the camp, with great success. All the communal areas are based at the centre of the lodge, making it easy to find your way around. The restaurant has a well-earned reputation for serving some of the best food you will find in Namibia and the dining area boasts a spacious terrace from which to take in stunning views of a floodlit waterhole while you tuck into your truly delicious meals – the food is even prepared in front of you, adding even more to the experience! The comfortable lounge area offers you the chance to rest and watch a little television or sit back and read or daydream about what the next day holds. Opposite this is the large sparkling swimming pool in which to cool down – towels are available from the reception area and there are also sunloungers (shaded by patio umbrellas) on the surrounding terrace. The inviting bar is well stocked and now includes the Acacia Beer Garden, where you can find some peace sitting in the shade of the old camelthorn tree at its centre. The curio shop offers more than just your obligatory postcards – here you can find necessities such as camera batteries, maps and books, as well as great gifts or souvenirs such as some African art jewellery. For an even better view of the surrounding dunes, you can make your way up to the viewing deck of the Lodge’s gorgeous old water tower – though please note that children definitely need supervision here!
The 45 luxurious rooms at Sossusvlei Lodge are based on either side of the central communal buildings, making navigation simple. Each room comprises a large Meru-style tented bedroom and solid brick en-suite bathroom with tiled flooring throughout. The whole room is simply yet tastefully decorated, maintaining the earthy hues that run throughout the lodge and adding a touch of style by way of the African prints above the beds. Each bedroom is designed to cover all your needs and includes comfortable adjoining twin beds with crisp white bed linen, a large space for hanging clothes, a writing table with chairs, vanity table with power points, a luggage rack, and a small safe in which to keep valuables while you are off on your adventures! There are also tea- and coffee-making facilities and air conditioning – and the windows can be rolled up without fear of insects intruding due to the sewn-in mesh material. The bathrooms all feature a walk-in shower, a toilet, and a washbasin with a large mirror. Outside each bedroom you walk onto your own private shaded verandah that has a table and chairs, enabling you to make the most of the surrounding vistas. There are three dedicated family units – these offer the same quality utilities, but they are more spacious and they have connecting doors in the bathroom to allow access to the next room.
ACTIVITIES AT SOSSUSVLEI LODGE:
- Sossusvlei Lodge’s Adventure Centre, next to Reception, is the place to choose and book all your activities – and wow, what a selection there is! By way of custom-built all-terrain vehicles, there are excellent guided tours of Sossusvlei down the dune corridor, with the option of a walking tour up to Dead Vlei and even the chance to scale the famous Big Daddy Dune!
- Also on offer is a day’s excursion to the supremely breathtaking Sesriem Canyon, carved by the Tsauchab River.
- For a different yet equally exciting chance to enjoy the stunning scenery, you can book a hot air balloon or helicopter ride and take possibly the most fantastic photos of your life!
- Eco-friendly quad biking is a popular choice for those seeking a bit of excitement – and you can learn or improve your archery skills here.
- Guided nature walks are highly recommended by YZ due to the guides’ inclusion of the often overlooked features in this landscape, such as the smaller wildlife and plant species.
- As the sun begins to set, why not book a beautiful sundowner nature drive to take in the magnificent sunset, all in the company of an extremely knowledgeable tour guide?
- If you are seeking a private dining affair, a sumptuous bush dinner can be arranged amid the gorgeous desert plains – this certainly is not your ordinary al-fresco supper, as it is planned exclusively to your requirements!
*This property is unfenced and located in a wildlife area, so large and potentially dangerous animals do pass through. If you opt to stay here, always be alert when walking around the camp and request for a member of staff to escort you if you have any concerns. Any guest is escorted after dark as a matter of course