Onguma: The Fort – a striking name and a striking building, with lavish communal areas in a Moroccan style. If you are looking to spend a bit more for a bit of luxury, the opulent Fort with its raw textures and earthy tones is the right place to be! This truly is the ultimate in lux safari!
ACCESS & LOCATION:
Ongumu: The Fort is positioned in the heart of the Onguma Game Reserve, which is nestled up to the eastern border of Etosha National Park.
ACCOMMODATION & FACILITIES AT ONGUMA: THE FORT:
Around every corner is another architectural delight, from traditional African artwork to dashes of Indian inspiration, and antique doors and windows. Right through the heart of the main building is a large water feature, including waterfalls and a small pool with stepping-stones to dance over as you head to your room! At night the water feature is lit up, presenting a calm ambience. Two lounge areas, one in the front and one in the back of the building, provide sanctuary from the daytime sun, with sumptuous sofas and scatter cushions, as well as a few books to read as you relax! The dining area is open sided, so you can eat your dinner while looking out at the stars, and at the front of the fort is a balcony with sunloungers, offering a cracking view of the waterhole with resident warthogs and springboks, and some larger game from time to time. The indoor water feature moves through to the back of the property, where a plunge pool and outdoor bar services those guests who are floating in the shallow pool with chairs and tables set in. You can keep your legs cool with the flowing water while enjoying an ice-cold beer in the sun! The main tower is the centrepiece and you will not want to leave. From there you can witness a stunning sunset over the Onguma Reserve while waiters bring you your drinks from the bar and/or wine cellar below!
Each of the twelve suites has been designed to look like a mini fort, with rows of six either side of the main building and each one secluded and private for visitors. Guests can use buggies to move between their rooms and the communal areas! Each room continues the Moroccan style in browns, reds and terracotta, with a canvas front wall that can be rolled up to unveil a viewing point of the game on Fischer’s Pan. Sunloungers and a bench provide a resting place – and each room has mosquito repellent, air conditioning, mini bar and hair dryer as standard. Bathrooms are large, with twin sinks, toilet, and outdoor shower well away from other guests. There is also a special Sultan Suite inside the tower of the main building for honeymooners. This has its own lounge and private viewing deck, in addition to a bathroom with large bath and open shower area.
ACTIVITIES AT ONGUMA: THE FORT:
- For activities at the Fort, you can book morning game drives into Etosha National Park, with sunset and night drives on the Onguma Reserve.
- Interpretive bush walks are available upon request – and although you cannot self-drive in the reserve, the majority of guests will be looking to self-drive into the national park due to its close proximity to the accommodation.
- The Fort is the perfect location and the most lavish example of a rest stop before or after a safari trip!
- On the reserve there are over thirty different species of animal, with black rhino and lion often seen, as well as leopard and hyena. Birding is also a popular attraction, with over 300 species of local bird –this part of Namibia is noted as one of the best in Africa!
- Guests visit on a full-board basis, with a generous breakfast buffet spread over a large communal table, a light three-course lunch, and a sophisticated four-course dinner menu.
- Service is as great as you would expect from somewhere that looks so spectacular – and children aged over 12 years are welcome. There is a laundry service at extra cost. For guests who like to stay connected, there is a telephone in each suite plus complimentary Wi-Fi in the communal areas!
*This property is unfenced and located in a wildlife area, so large and potentially dangerous animals do pass through. If you opt to stay here, always be alert when walking around the camp and request for a member of staff to escort you if you have any concerns. Any guest is escorted after dark as a matter of course.