If you are looking for great game viewing in and around Etosha, combined with opportunities to explore the stunning sights of Damaraland, Hobatere is an excellent option. Highly recommended by YZ! The quality of guiding is truly first rate – all guides are incredibly knowledgeable and keen to answer any questions. All children are welcome – there are no special activities for the youngsters, but the lounge contains a few board games. Constant parental supervision is recommended, as the whole site is open and the pool is unfenced.
ACCESS & LOCATION:
Hobatere Lodge has a great location, just 17km from the Otjovasandu entrance to Etosha National Park! A dirt road just 1km from the Otjovasandu entrance leads guests to the Lodge.
ACCOMMODATION & FACILITIES AT HOBATERE LODGE:
The communal building is a smart terracotta-painted thatch-roofed structure, with two nicely proportioned gables. Inside, there is the lounge, restaurant, bar area, and curio shop. The lounge contains plenty of comfy chairs and sofas in earthy and natural tones. These are set up around chunky wooden coffee tables, for a social feel. The curio shop is adjacent to this area, while the restaurant is the other side of the building. In the restaurant, there are sturdy wooden tables surrounded by equally sturdy wood-framed cushioned chairs! The bar area is alongside, providing a relaxing space to get to know your fellow travellers. Outside, there is a dining deck and also a viewing deck, boasting impressive vistas of the local waterhole. And finally, there is the swimming pool flanked by sunloungers and an outside shower, a wonderful place for cooling off in the heat of the day!
The guest accommodation at Hobatere consists of 14 rooms in total – six twins, six doubles, and two single rooms. The twin rooms and single rooms comprise separate chalets, while the larger doubles occupy a terrace. The buildings resemble the main lodge – terracotta walls and characterful thatch! All terrace rooms have a private veranda, with lovely views over the concession. The chalets have wide windows with net curtains – these afford ample privacy, while letting in the light. As well as the beds, all rooms contain bedside table/s and lamp/s, a writing desk and chair or stool, storage space, and a modest tea-and-coffee station including a flask for hot water, which is filled at Reception. Snug rugs adorn the concrete floors and African artwork on the walls bestows a lot of vibrant colour! The en-suite facilities comprise flush toilet, washbasin, and walk-in shower.
ACTIVITIES AT HOBATERE LODGE:
Hobatere is well placed to offer some exciting activities, focused on getting to know the local wildlife!
- Game drives in the concession are available during the morning, afternoon, and night. Animal highlights include all the Big Five, plus oodles of other herbivores and specials such as aardvark, aardwolf, bat-eared fox, Cape fox, genet, and many more.
- The birding here is also pretty special – if you are a fan of the feathery friends, do not forget to pack your binocs! Guided walks take place in the morning, before the heat settles in for the day. This is a fantastic opportunity to see all the small things that are missed when exploring in the 4×4!
- Guests can also enjoy a full-day excursion in Etosha National Park, in a circular route through the Galton Gate to Okaukuejo via lots of busy waterholes.
- The waterhole at Okaukuejo provides a very scenic setting for a picnic lunch, expertly prepared by Hobatere’s own kitchen staff! All Big Five are in residence in Etosha too, as well as lots of other species.
- And guests can drive out to any number of attractions in the region, including the rock engravings at Twyfelfontein, the majestic Brandberg Mountain, Hoanib River, and Opuwo, capital of the Kunene Region. There really is a fine assortment of things to do here!