GocheGanas is privately owned and run. Its name, inspired by the trees in the area, means ‘place of camel thorns, abounding with candle-pod acacias’. Although there are no age restrictions here, children aged 11 years and under are not permitted to enter the Wellness Centre. The price of your stay includes both breakfast and dinner at the lodge.
ACCESS & LOCATION:
GocheGanas can be accessed via road transfer from Hosea Kutako International Airport, a journey of approximately 90 kilometres along the B6 and B1. At extra cost, staff at the lodge can arrange a shuttle service between the airport and the property.
ACCOMMODATION & FACILITIES AT GOCHEGANAS:
Guest accommodation consists of 16 wood, stone, and thatch chalets – 15 are described as Elegant Suites and the remaining one is the Family Suite. Raised above ground level, all are positioned to provide amazing views over the nature reserve from a timber deck. Each Elegant Suite is air conditioned and contains a king-size bed or twin beds with mosquito nets, bedside tables and lighting, a separate seating area, and plenty of storage space. Large glass windows at the front of the space present beautiful vistas of savanna, woodlands, and mountains! Additional amenities include a television, a telephone, free Wi-Fi, and a mini-bar. The en-suite facilities comprise separate toilet, twin washbasins, a bath with a wonderful view, and both indoor and outdoor showers. A maximum of two children aged under 12 years can share a chalet with their parents. The Family Suite benefits from all the features of the Elegant Suite option, as well as a second bedroom, which is connected to the first bedroom via a terrace.
Located a short stroll from the guest chalets, GocheGanas’ communal buildings are also constructed from timber, stone, and thatch, with big glass windows creating a rather grand feel. The interiors include a number of lounge areas, featuring comfortable sofas and armchairs around coffee tables. The lodge’s dining room is light and bright, a pleasant space in which to enjoy both a hearty buffet breakfast and a delicious dinner. Guests can also tuck in to mouth-watering meals on a deck, all the while marvelling at the scenery! There’s a rondavel bar too, and a juice bar within the property’s wellness centre. This centre is extensive, with its well-equipped gym, 11 specialist treatment rooms, granite cave sauna, and lovely heated pool. Outside the lodge, there’s an additional pool, perfect for cooling off between activities! GocheGanas also provides conference facilities, in a separate building not far from the main site.
ACTIVITIES AT GOCHEGANAS:
GocheGanas offers a wide range of things to do.
- Due to the property’s proximity to a nature reserve, it is able to provide classic safari activities – game drives and guided walks.
- The drives take place during early morning and late afternoon, with a snack break halfway through. The reserve’s 6,000 hectares are home to 25 mammal species!
- Predators you can expect to see include leopard, cheetah, foxes, and jackals, while the herbivore count features white rhino, giraffe, Burchell’s and Hartmann’s mountain zebras, and an excellent assortment of antelopes.
- The birding is impressive too, and guided walks are a great opportunity to spot some of the reserve’s feathery friends, in addition to studying the insect life and plant life.
- Other activities include cave visits, mountain biking, and stargazing!