Desert Quiver has helpful staff and a family-friendly atmosphere – children under 12 years stay for free when staying with two adults, and all children are welcome! The property is first rate for those who want to experience the wonders of this part of Africa. Guests wishing to cook for themselves – this is primarily a self-catering camp, after all! – are asked to complete an order form for their fresh food supply daily at the reception area. There is a wide variety of foodstuffs to choose from and your order is then delivered to you at your unit. A private chef can be booked to prepare a feast over open coals when requested – or staff members are happy to arrange a spectacular intimate or group bush dinner!
ACCESS & LOCATION:
We think it is ideally located, not only due to its close proximity to the entrance to Sossuvlei and Sesriem Canyon, but also because of its truly stunning views of the Elim Dune and the granite outcrops!
ACCOMMODATION & FACILITIES AT DESERT QUIVER CAMP:
Surrounded by cosy fire pits, the bar tent has a fantastic atmosphere – and it has a large wooden table, so you can socialise with new friends over a drink and share the spectacular sunsets together. The bar is fully stocked – and there is also Wi-Fi (coupons available) and big screen television, should you be able to tear your eyes away from the stunning views! Situated next to the bar area, is the sparkling jewel of a swimming pool, perfect for relaxation during any time of the day. It is large enough for you to get in some exercise too! The pool is surrounded by sunloungers – and towels are available from the reception area. For those travelling in a group of ten or more, Desert Quiver offers two great bomas. You can share cooking duties with a group barbecue and sit around the central fire pits in comfort on the cushioned wooden benches. Alternatively, for those who prefer not to cook, you can make use of the restaurant at the nearby Sossuvlei Lodge!
The 24 beautifully designed self-catering chalets at Desert Quiver are decorated in white and earthy hues to fit in with the surrounding landscape – this provides both a clean and authentically Namib air. Each unit comes replete with a private patio including a shaded outside cooking and eating area (with barbecue!), tasteful en-suite facilities comprising a flush toilet, washbasin and shower, and bedroom with comfy twin beds plus a double sofa-bed so as to accommodate up to four people per unit – there is also plenty of hanging space for your clothes. Every chalet comes with a fitted electronic safe, so there is no need to worry about leaving valuable items behind while you are off on a trip! The units are well spaced, allowing for ample privacy. They are connected to the main communal buildings via a walkway that is lit up in the evenings – and like the main building, each unit benefits from the spectacular views of this stunning area.
ACTIVITIES AT DESERT QUIVER CAMP:
With so much on offer here, it is hard to choose what to do first!
- There are excursions to the striking Sesriem Canyon and guided trips to Sossuvlei, which is renowned for its richly coloured dunes and wonderful array of fauna – from jackals to ostriches, and even the elusive cheetah or leopard!
- Or why not view the marsh, canyon and desert by air, by booking a hot air balloon or helicopter ride? These activities can take you on a more personalised journey and give you the chance to capture this beautiful vista on film from an entirely different angle.
- There is also archery and eco-friendly quad biking for those wanting a more adrenalin-fuelled adventure. You can tuck in to an authentic bush dinner, while a sundowner in this beautiful region will truly captivate your senses.
- Nature drives from Desert Quiver are highly recommended, featuring an unhurried tour of the private reserve during the late afternoon while experiencing the breathtaking sunset as you relax with a drink and a snack.
- And after sunset, you can take a while to appreciate the vast night sky and do some peaceful stargazing back at camp!
*This property is unfenced and located in a wildlife area, so large and potentially dangerous animals do pass through. If you opt to stay here, always be alert when walking around the camp and request for a member of staff to escort you if you have any concerns. Any guest is escorted after dark as a matter of course