A stay at Tassia Lodge is an excellent experience! You can do as much or as little as you like, all the while soaking up the atmosphere and enjoying being in the wild. And you can really get to know the local culture, which truly boosts your experience of safari.
ACCESS & LOCATION:
Natural lodge in western Kenya, on the 60,000-acre Lekurruki Community Ranch.
ACCOMMODATION & FACILITIES AT TASSIA LODGE:
Building the lodge in 2007, Marin Wheeler and Antonia Hall worked hard to create and maintain an eco-conscious, culturally sensitive property. Today Tassia blends in perfectly with the surrounding landscape and brings benefits to the local Mokogodo Maasai community.
The open-sided communal areas give you an unobstructed view of the wilderness below. With furniture made from wood, brick flooring and walls, and a thatched roof, the Lodge feels both sturdy and part of the landscape. The rustic style really blends into the rocky background. The dining room has plenty of tables and there is a bar with seating too. There is also a deck area, which has a shop where you can purchase creations from local talented Kenyan artisans. Go up a few steps to the lounge and you will find wide sofas covered in large cushions and the same glorious view of the landscape all around. You can also see a small watering hole, which is visited by the occasional plains game – binoculars are provided, so you do not miss a thing! And do not miss out on a dip in the swimming pool, which is dug into the rocks and perfect for cooling down on those hotter days. **Please be aware that the swimming pool here has no depth markings, so take care before you jump in!**
The guest accommodation at Tassia Lodge comprises six spacious bungalows (bandas) – all are unique in design and have en-suite facilities. The sides of the bandas are open, but as they are built into the terrain, they are all very private. The décor is similar to that of the communal areas, with chunky furniture, neutral colours, and stone floors and walls. The beds are all comfortable and have mosquito nets. The bathrooms all have hot running water and flushing toilets – with the sink and mirror built into the wall, and wooden accessories, they have a very natural vibe. Two of the bedrooms have space for an extra bed, so they are very suitable for those who wish to bring their children. The bandas have a lovely open and airy feel to them. While they may be tucked away, you still are faced with superb views across the landscape and you will feel very at one with nature here!
ACTIVITIES AT TASSIA LODGE:
- Tassia is not the place to come in search of big game – even after the rainy season, big cats tend to be occasional rather than regular visitors.
- However, you can see the elephants on their migratory routes and wild dog are known to be in the area.
- There are plenty of opportunities to take walks with a Maasai guide, who will show you the flora and fauna of the area and how to track wildlife.
- You will not want to miss a visit to the caves, which show signs of human habitation going back 40,000 years!
- Take a trip to the local villages to learn about the Massai culture and you can join in with the beading business, which involves local women from the surrounding villages.
- There is a bird of prey rehabilitation centre, a side project of Tassia, which houses these majestic creatures, nursing them back to health before releasing them back into the wild.
- And do not forget to have a massage or manicure, for a bit of relaxation!
- The level of service supplied by Martin, Antonia and their team is truly unparalleled. Martin’s knowledge of the area and the activities, and Antonia’s connection with the local people and the food she cooks, all add up to a unique package for travellers!