Sala’s Camp is a YZ favourite, due to its superb location, great range of activities, and laidback atmosphere. A particular highlight is the candlelit dinner under the stars on the bed of the Sand River! The camp is owned and operated by The Safari Collection, a company that prides itself on offering each guest unique experiences and a personalised stay.
ACCESS & LOCATION:
It is situated in the far south, close to the Kenya–Tanzania border and where the Sand River meets the Keekerok River.
ACCOMMODATION & FACILITIES AT SALA'S CAMP:
Sala’s has a lot of character and a lovely laidback atmosphere. The main mess tent contains a lounge, a dining area and a small bar. The lounge has a very modern and African feel, featuring vibrantly coloured cushions on wicker seating. It has a selection of books and a few games too. The dining area has a long table for communal meals and is separated from the lounge by the bar. Just in front of the mess tent, there are directors’ chairs and coffee tables to create another space for socialising. The fire pit is also a great place to enjoy a drink and swap stories!
The guest accommodation at Sala’s consists of seven luxurious and tasteful tents, with running water and electricity. One of the tents is slightly larger, with an additional lounge/bedroom, and is available to honeymooners or families. All are spacious, while the thick foliage around the camp guarantees privacy and shade in the heat of the day. The tents are constructed from a forest-green coloured canvas, while inside the décor is cool and contemporary, featuring African throws, silken cushions and crisp white sheets! Furnishings include a wardrobe and a writing desk. The sleeping area also contains a sink unit, with a shower room (flush toilet and hot-and-cold running shower) situated behind a canvas door. At the front of each tent, deckchairs are set out to provide a comfortable seating area.
ACTIVITIES AT SALA'S CAMP:
- Sala’s fabulous location results in some awesome game drives! In this relatively quiet region of the reserve, there are fewer crowds and vehicles. The camp is one of the first in the reserve to witness the arrival of the Great Migration herds as they hurtle into Kenya from the Serengeti from June to September every year.
- Throughout the reserve, there is excellent game viewing – all Big Five animals in addition to many other predators and herbivores! The birdlife is nothing short of thrilling, with numerous species of raptors and waterfowl present all year round.
- The camp also offers hot air balloon rides and even some sports when the nearby river is reasonably shallow.
- The Sand River is a fantastic feature at Sala’s. Situated just below the mess tent, it has a sandy bottom, providing the impression of being on the beach! There are no crocs here, so it is a perfect place for children to play while a Maasai askari (guard) keeps watch.Everyone can enjoy a bit of exercise by playing football, frisbee and volleyball – and the staff love to join in too!
- There is a great children’s programme at Sala’s. All kids receive a pack including games, activities and quizzes about wildlife and about the camp. It contains gifts for them too! There is also warrior training – while the parents relax in the afternoon, children spend their time learning how to make bows and arrows, how to make stones sing, and how to make fire the traditional way, while wearing Maasai clothing and jewellery.
- Nature walks encourage kids to have fun hunting the ‘Small Five’ with their guide, and entertainment is available before and after dinner in the form of roasting marshmallows and making popcorn on the campfire. The camp is well stocked with children’s games and all rooms have a set of paints and paper for budding artists!
- Other activities include croquet on the grass in front of the mess tent and Spanish bocce for playing in the Sand River.
*This property is unfenced and located in a wildlife area, so large and potentially dangerous animals do pass through. If you opt to stay here, always be alert when walking around the camp and request for a member of staff to escort you if you have any concerns. Any guest is escorted after dark as a matter of course.