Kifaru House is owned and operated by The Elewana Collection, a company famous for its stunning camps and lodges in iconic locations! The Elewana portfolio includes properties in Laikipia, the Maasai Mara, and the Serengeti, and on Zanzibar. Kifaru can be booked on an exclusive basis, and the price of your stay includes accommodation, all meals, a selection of alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks, and a laundry service. The property sleeps a maximum of 12 guests and is open all year round.
ACCESS & LOCATION:
The house can be accessed via road transfer from Nairobi, a distance of approximately 260 kilometres that takes 4–5 hours. Alternatively, you can fly from Nairobi Wilson Airport to Lewa Downs and a member of Kifaru’s staff will drive you the remaining few kilometres to the house. The property is situated on an escarpment at the heart of the Lewa Wildlife Conservancy. It’s named after the Swahili word for ‘rhino’, which is apt, as the conservancy contains both black and white species!
ACCOMMODATION & FACILITIES AT KIFARU HOUSE:
Guest accommodation consists of five cottages constructed using timber, stone, and thatch. Four sleep a maximum of two persons, and one has an extra bedroom for two children. Each has wood-framed glass doors and windows, and entry is through double doors. Inside every standard cottage, there’s a four-poster king-size bed, bedside tables and lighting, a writing desk and chair, a large wardrobe, and a pleasant seating area. The en-suite facilities comprise flush toilet, twin washbasins, and shower. Amenities include direct dial telephone, CD player, Wi-Fi access, and mini-bar. In the family cottage, both bedrooms have their own en-suite, while one of the standards benefits from an outside shower and a Victorian-style bathtub! All cottages boast a private veranda, and the views over Lewa are breathtakingly good.
Kifaru’s communal structure is also made from wood, stone, and thatch. It contains the sumptuous lounge, complete with plush seating around a central coffee table, additional armchairs and occasional tables, a satellite television, a few bookshelves, and a cosy fireplace. The library area also offers a DVD player, a computer and printer, and access to Wi-Fi. Adjacent to the lounge, in an open-plan layout, is the dining room, which features a long table where everyone eats together. Breakfasts, lunches, and dinners are all served here, as well as on the house’s comfortable terrace and at a few well-chosen spots around the grounds. And there’s a heated swimming pool too, alongside a pool house with its own lounging and dining areas, massage room, and shower facilities. The views from the pool are fabulous – relaxing in the water in between activities is bliss!
ACTIVITIES AT KIFARU HOUSE:
Kifaru House offers an exciting range of safari activities and cultural experiences.
- Both shared and private game drives are available, during day and night. The sprawling plains, woodlands, and wetlands of Lewa are home to all Big Five– lion, rhino, leopard, elephant, and buffalo! You can also expect to see smaller predators such as cheetah and wild dog, as well as the Northern Speciality Species comprising Grevy’s zebra, reticulated giraffe, Somali ostrich, Beisa oryx, and gerenuk.
- The birdlife is equally impressive, featuring numerous raptors, waterbirds, and songbirds.
- Guided walks are a wonderful opportunity for close encounters with the smaller lives of the conservancy, including its plants and insects.
- Kifaru’s knowledgeable guides ensure you enjoy some exciting sightings, all the while answering your questions and providing insights into Lewa’s history and culture.
- You can also view wildlife on horse rides and camel rides! Please note, horse riding is for experienced riders only, but anyone can board a camel for a peaceful evening stroll. Village visits are possible too, specifically to local Samburu homesteads.
- At extra cost, Samburu families will show you their homes and their ways of life – and you can purchase their traditional handicrafts. Tours of local schools and Lewa’s offices are also available.