Kicheche Bush Camp really is the ultimate bush camp. Fabulously located in a game-rich conservancy, it offers ample wildlife-viewing opportunities – with the added draw of a professional photographer! A top-quality property.
ACCESS & LOCATION:
Based within the incredible (and private) conservancy area of Olare Motorogi, the camp is situated in south-west Kenya, in the Mara Olare Orok section of the Maasai Mara. Unfenced and with impeccable service standards, a trip to Kicheche Bush Camp will leave you with a whole host of wonderful memories!
ACCOMMODATION & FACILITIES AT KICHECHE BUSH CAMP:
All the communal areas are well kept and comfortable, welcoming to those looking for a bit of comfort during their safari. The soft, cream edges of the communal tent and shade sheet give a cool and refreshing feel to guests, while the open front looks out into the surrounding bush. Terracotta pots full of plants are dotted around, to provide a homely vibe. This really feels like a bush camp, hidden away from prying eyes – your very own private retreat! Inside the main communal tent, everything is in one place. A lounge area with cream sofas and cushions allows you to sit back and enjoy one of the many books lying around, including some photography books by Paul Goldstein, who part-owns the camp! Two large tables are pushed together at the other side of the tent for communal dining, either inside or out, depending on the temperature at your time of visit. A small tent next door offers gifts and memorabilia to take home with you.
Accommodation is comfy and very clean too, so you can relax in your own adaptable private space at night. The six tents are spread out on a hillside – as they are so few in number, Kicheche offers a pleasant, private and intimate experience. Inside, the tents are adaptable, with a large open-plan space, a lounge area at the front and a bathroom to the side. Rooms are created by canvas walls, so during the day you can leave the whole space wide open, while at night you can create cosy boltholes and a comfortable bedroom. The lounge area has a small table and chairs, where you can enjoy your morning brew and have a snooze in the afternoon. Bedrooms have been put together using simple wood furniture and cream materials, with Maasai decorations adorning some spaces for a feel of the local culture. The bathrooms are en-suite and are equipped with a dresser, flushing toilet, and a wash basin and indoor shower with running water.
ACTIVITIES AT KICHECHE BUSH CAMP:
- Kicheche Bush Camp’s part ownership with Paul Goldstein is evident in the number of wildlife and photography enthusiasts who visit on an annual basis. There is definitely an emphasis on activities that offer spectacular photo opportunities.
- Game drives with open-sided vehicles are the perfect example of this, with plug socket strips available on trips into the private conservancy to get some amazing snapshots of leopard or giraffe! Interpretative walking tours provide a calmer perspective, with plenty of time for guides to point out the rare local birdlife.
- Kicheche Bush Camp also offers fly camping, with walking safaris and overnight camping out in the bush – senior guides and an armed ranger are on hand to keep you safe at all times.
- You can also get to know the area via hot air ballooning, taking off at sunrise and floating over the Maasai Mara. This is a once-in-a-lifetime experience, well worth the extra cost!
- With an emphasis on local community and tradition, guests can also visit Maasai villages, meet local people, hear stories about their way of life, and be treated to traditional dancing and culture. The activities on offer at Kicheche Bush Camp are up there with the very best in Africa!
*This property is unfenced and located in a wildlife area, so large and potentially dangerous animals do pass through. If you opt to stay here, always be alert when walking around the camp and request for a member of staff to escort you if you have any concerns. Any guest is escorted after dark as a matter of course.