The camp is owned by RAW Botswana – RAW stands for Ride & Walk, which provides a couple of clues as to what sorts of activities are available here! If you are into RAW, Motswiri really is a dream destination. This is a chic classic safari camp with a lot going for it. Highly recommended!
ACCESS & LOCATION:
The Camp is accessed via a light aircraft flight from Maun, lasting approximately 40 minutes.
ACCOMMODATION & FACILITIES AT MOTSWIRI CAMP:
The main lodge is constructed from wood, with a deck that incorporates a very large tree. This tree provides some pleasant shade during the heat of the day. A few steps lead you into the covered open-plan lounge and dining area. This is open fronted, so you have spectacular views of the Spillway! The lounge contains some comfortable chairs, sofas and benches, all positioned around a coffee table for a social feel. There are also a few bookshelves and many of the surfaces are decorated with plants and ornaments – homely! In the dining area, a long communal table provides the setting for communal meals, and there is also a counter where guests can serve themselves, buffet-style. Although there is no bar, the Camp keeps its fridge and drinks cabinet well stocked! The lounge and dining spaces flow out on to the deck, which has further seating. A short distance from the main site, there is another deck, with a private plunge pool – flanked by sunloungers, this is the perfect place to keep cool and get to know your fellow travellers!
Guest accommodation at Motswiri Camp consists of just five tents, connected to the lodge via sandy pathways. At night, the paths are beautifully lit by paraffin lanterns! All tents are constructed from wood and canvas. They are raised off the ground and positioned on a wooden deck, to maximise views of the Spillway. Timber-framed mesh-paned sliding doors and mesh windows admit cooling breezes but no biting insects! Inside, the furnishings are simple but very chic and comfortable. The beds are configured as either a double or twins. There is a writing desk and stool, plus ample storage space for your belongings! The en-suite facilities are positioned behind the bedroom area – these comprise toilet, twin washbasins, and shower. The Camp’s honeymoon suite has a private outdoor shower too!
ACTIVITIES AT MOTSWIRI CAMP:
Motswiri’s activities are all about RAW – Ride & Walk.
- However, canoeing and boating are available almost all year round too and there are even short game drives! The focus is on exploring the area quietly, maximising the chances of coming up very close and personal to wildlife.
- On a walking safari, guests can track specific animals, enjoy some fabulous birdwatching, track spoors, and check out the flora and fauna, all in the knowledgeable company of one of the Camp’s guides!
- The same attention to detail is possible on mokoro trips too. Just some of the species you can view are lion, leopard, cheetah, elephant, buffalo, wildebeest, giraffe, zebra, antelopes, hyenas, jackals, and the rare wild dog.
- The Delta has plenty of crocs and hippos! However, the riding is where this camp really raises its game. Departure times are flexible and each riding safari lasts for up to six hours. The Camp’s stables boast more than twenty horses – thoroughbreds, Boerperds, Arabs and Kalahari crosses – in a range of sizes. There are restrictions on who can take part in this activity, based on weight and expertise – just get in touch with us, so we can supply all the information you need. This is a thrilling opportunity, but it really is not for beginners, as you might have to gallop away from a troublesome situation!
- Finally, the Camp offers occasional short game drives.
*This property is unfenced and located in a wildlife area, so large and potentially dangerous animals do pass through. If you opt to stay here, always be alert when walking around the camp and request for a member of staff to escort you if you have any concerns. Any guest is escorted after dark as a matter of course.