Khwai Bush Camp is owned and operated by African Bush Camps. This company specialises in providing authentic experiences across Botswana, Zambia, and Zimbabwe. Superb service comes as standard! The accommodation is booked on a full-board basis, including all meals, a selection of alcoholic and soft drinks, two game-viewing activities daily, transfers between the camp and the local airstrip, and a laundry service. The camp can be booked on an exclusive basis for a minimum of 12 guests, and it’s open all year round.
ACCESS & LOCATION:
The camp can be accessed via 30 minutes’ road transfer from Khwai’s airstrip. It has a lovely location amidst leadwood and sycamore trees, on the banks of the River Khwai in the Okavango Delta.
ACCOMMODATION & FACILITIES AT KHWAI BUSH CAMP:
Guest accommodation consists of four standard chalets and two family chalets. All are classic timber, stone, and thatch structures, with wood-framed windows and doors. Inside each spacious standard chalet, there’s a double bed or twin beds, bedside tables and lighting, an armless settee with a reading lamp, and a tea-and-coffee tray. A tall board is positioned behind the bed/s, dividing the bedroom area from the washing space. En-suite facilities comprise flush toilet, twin washbasins with large mirror over, and walk-in shower. Both family chalets benefit from all these features, in addition to a second bedroom for children. And all chalets boast beautiful views over the Khwai river and across to the wildlife-rich Moremi Game Reserve!
The communal lodge at Khwai Bush Camp is also made out of timber, stone, glass, and thatch. It’s positioned at roughly the centre of the site and raised above ground level, with a gently sloping ramp. Interiors include a pleasant lounge, featuring a colourful and well-cushioned L-shaped sofa around coffee and occasional tables, and river views. Adjacent to this space is the indoor dining area, where everyone eats together. Both lounge and dining areas flow out onto a deck, which is a great spot for relaxing and tucking in to tasty meals while marvelling at the scenery! A short walkway from the deck takes you to the camp’s fire-pit, with its almost complete circle of campaign chairs. This is where guests gather every evening before dinner, to sink a few sundowners and to share their safari stories.
ACTIVITIES AT KHWAI BUSH CAMP:
The camp offers an exciting variety of activities.
- Expertly guided game drives take place in the morning and in the afternoon into evening, providing opportunities to see a wealth of wildlife!
- Among Khwai’s highlights are four of the Big Five – lion, leopard, elephant, and buffalo. Smaller predators in residence include cheetah, hyena, and wild dog, while the herbivore count features hippo, giraffe, and antelopes.
- On night drives, you can look out for aardvark, aardwolf, porcupine, and the charming pangolin, a few that form Africa's mysterious five!
- Walking safaris are also available, setting off after breakfast and focusing on close observation of the smaller lives of the concession, for example the insects and plants. This activity has a minimum age requirement of 16 years.
- However, everyone can enjoy mokoro safaris when the water levels are right, as well as bird watching in Khwai.
- Cultural tours of local villages are possible too, for insights into the daily lives of the Babukakhwe or River Bushmen, who are directly related to the San.
*This property is unfenced and located in a wildlife area, so large and potentially dangerous animals do pass through. If you opt to stay here, always be alert when walking around the camp and request for a member of staff to escort you if you have any concerns. Any guest is escorted after dark as a matter of course.